Functions in Word
Extra menu options have been added to Word for the best possible collaboration with EndNote. All new options in Word are reflected in the menus. Some settings can be changed in Word while others must be made in EndNote.
Below are briefly presented the various tool buttons.
– Search for reference (opens a separate search window to find references in open library)
See more about the options at insertion
– Lets you select the type of object to insert
See more on Inserting Object in Word
|Go to EndNote
– Takes you to the EndNote program
| Edit & Manage Citation(s)
– Edit the tagged citation (you can, for example, add page numbers, remove the year / author name, etc. in a citation in the text) and its reference in the EndNote library (see also the next paragraph).
(See more on Edit citations)
|………………….||Edit Library Reference(s)
– Takes you to EndNote library to edit the highlighted reference there.
– Here you can choose what output style the document should be formatted to. The output styles on the list are those that have been labeled as «favorites» in the EndNote program.
|Update Citations and Bibliography
– Formats citations and reference list according to selected output style.
Use this feature if automatic formatting is turned off.
– Options for formatting the bibliography
| Group References by Custom Categories
– Here you turn the function on / off to override the layout for categories defined in the output style (see below)
(See more on categories in output styles)
– Here you can choose what changes you want to make in relation to the layout for categories defined in the output style
(See more on Changing categories in a reference list)
|Instant formatting is On/Off
|Configure Instant Formatting
– Allows you to define how the automatic formatting should take place. The menu selection above turns the function on / off.
(See more on Setup for automatic formatting)
|Convert to Unformatted Citations
– Unformats citations and references throughout the document or the citation one may have highlighted. Note that this feature also turns off automatic formatting of references.
(See more on formatting and unformatting in Word)
|Covert to Plain Text
– Removes the field codes that provide a link between Word and the EndNote library.
(It may be smart to keep a copy of the document with the codes intact, as it is not possible to recreate the links after they are removed.)
|Export Traveling Library
– Allows you to store all cited references (inserted from EndNote) in an EndNote library (new or existing)
– Options for setting up how EndNote and Word work together, and the ability to customize continuous formatting.
(Setup for Word and EndNote)
– Option to define hotkeys for many features of EndNote–Word interaction
(See more on Setup for hotkeys)
|Figures and Tables
– Setup for placing tables and illustrations inserted from EndNote
(See more on this feature)
– Select which EndNote program to associate with Word.
(See more on Selecting EndNote-program)
– Provides a recommendation for a journal you can publish in
(See more on Manuscript Matcher)
– Help (in EndNote)